After an unforgettable first season, the Emmy-nominated Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt returns this spring with new episodes bursting with hilarity and heart.
Created by Tina Feyand Robert Carlock, the half-hour comedy follows a woman adjusting to life in New York City after being held in an underground bunker for 15 years. All 13 episodes of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt’s second season will become available to Netflix members around the world on Friday, April 15, at 12:01 a.m. PT.
“There’s a lot of singing, there’s some roller coasters, there’s some new family members,” Carlock teases.
In the new season, Kimmy (played by Ellie Kemper) continues to adjust to the 21
century and learn more about who she really is.
“Now she’s got deeper emotional and life issues that she has to really get into,” Fey says. “That’s more of what this season is about.”
Joining Kimmy on her journey are her best pal and roommate, Titus (Tituss Burgess); employer-turned-friend Jacqueline (Jane Krakowski); and landlady Lillian (Carol Kane). In the new season, fans can expect a few surprise guest appearances as well.
Along with being nominated for several awards (including seven Emmys), the first season of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt resonated with audiences across the globe.
“We care a lot about the show and these characters, and it’s very special to us to be able to share it with such a big audience,” Carlock says. “So many people I’ve spoken to or heard from have binged it and binged it again, and that means a lot.”
Adds Kemper: “Certainly (Kimmy’s) set of circumstances is extreme. But I think that anyone can relate to going through a challenging time and starting over again, starting fresh and (all) that surrounds starting a new chapter of your life.”
A host of guest stars will be joining Season 2 of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt when it launches exclusively on Netflix
· Fred Armisen plays Bobby, a former flame of Lillian’s.
· Anna Camp plays Deirdre Robespierre, Princeton-educated trophy wife, queen of New York society, and a rival to Jacqueline Voorhees.
· Amy Sedaris again plays Mimi Kanassis, one of Jacqueline’s society friends.
· Zosia Mamet and Evan Jonigkeit play Sue and Bob Thompstein, an Austin hipster couple.
· Jeff Goldblum plays talk show host Dr. Dave, who takes an interest in the story of the Mole Women.
· David Cross plays Russ Snyder, attorney for the Jewish Art Reclamation Project.
· Tina Fey plays therapist Andrea Bayden.
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidtis executive produced by Fey, Carlock, Jeff Richmond and David Miner. It’s produced by Universal Television in association with 3 Arts Entertainment, Little Stranger, Inc., and Bevel Gears.