Happy Stand Up Week From BeLonG To!
During this week students, teachers and school communities across Ireland will take a stand against the anti-LGBTI+ bullying, harassment, and name-calling that silences many students. It is unacceptable that 70% of young LGBTI+ students feel unsafe at school.
You can help to stop LGBTI+ discrimination, by getting involved and helping BeLonG To Spread the Word
If you have friends, family members or young people who are students or teachers at second-level schools, encourage them to take part.
This includes a resource booklet packed with activity ideas; tips on how to make schools more trans inclusive; and a poster to let students know that their school is LGBTI+ friendly.
Get Involved: Join the Conversation Online #Standup17
1. Share a photo (from the past or present!) of yourself and a friend who stood up for you during a hard time.
2. Tag your friend in the post and let them know why it was so meaningful that they took a stand for you (this does not have to be LGBTI+ related).
3. Use the hashtag #StandUp2017 and tag @BeLonGToYouthServices (Facebook), @BeLonG_To (Twitter), @belongtoyouthservices (Instagram).
4. You can use any of following lines in a social media post:
- Stand up for your LGBTI+ friends!
- Take a stand against LGBTI+ bullying.
5. Congratulate yourself for helping to raise awareness of this important issue!
Growing up LGBTI+ doesn’t need to be painful and challenging. With your help, an Ireland can be created where young LGBTI+ people are safe, valued and equal.