7 PAVILIONS :: 15 TALKS + PANEL DISCUSSIONS :: 2 EXHIBITIONS
Happening across Cork city | 27th – 29th August 2021
Cork city’s architecture, design and food festival, Design POP, returns to the streets of Cork this August, 27th – 29th. Enjoy architecture, food, and design, through a series of outdoor architectural pavilions, events, talks, exhibitions, and conversations.
Making up for last year’s cancellation, this year’s bumper programme will see seven architect, designer and food collaborators, working on seven outdoor pavilions, situated at different locations around Cork city:
Mark Horgan and River Club Bar at The River Lee Hotel; Play Nice studio and Currabinny at Wandesford Quay; Cook Architects and Ballymaloe foods at Elizabeth Fort; Alan Macilwraith of JCA Architects and Good Day Deli at Nano Nagle Place; Maser and Crawford Gallery Café at Emmett Place; Wilson Architects and Naturally Nourished at Penrose Dock; CCAE and Blackrock Castle Observatory at Blackrock Castle.
(Full details on the pavilions and activation times can be found here:
Design POP will also host over 15 events at the outdoor festival HQ – The Courtyard at Cork Printmakers, The Lavit Gallery, and Backwater Artist Group on Wandesford Quay:
The festival opens with three events: talks by Kari Cahill, The Project Twins, and Director of The Lewis Glucksman Gallery Fiona Kearney (supported by Cork Chamber of Commerce).
– Panel discussion “Plating Up with Local Produce – Telling A Story with Food Through Photography & Styling” with Brid O’ Donovan, OHK Cafe and Laura Edgerton (Culinary Cork).
– THE BIG IDEA with Kim Mackenzie-Doyle, Jonathan Leahy Maharaj, Eugene Canavan and Amy McKeogh.
– Panel discussion “The Launch- Launching a new brand and the creative process behind it”, with Ernest Cantillon (Kinsale Gin and Red Earl Whiskey), Tony Speight (WCC Roastery) and Laura Edgerton
– A talk hosted by Studio Anois
– “In conversation with Toonsbridge Dairy and The Real Olive Company” with Jenny-Rose Clarke (Toonsbridge) and Kate Ryan (Flavour.ie)
– “In conversation with Ardú and MASER” (supported by Pat McDonnell paints.)
– RIAI + DESIGN POP present Alastair Hall from Hall McKnight Architects, Sandra O’Connell (RIAI) and Tony Duggan (Cork City Council) in Cork Centre for Architectural Education
– Panel discussion “Interior design – Design and creativity how it impacts our everyday lives”, with Kate O’Neill (The Visual Loop), Sarah O’Neill, Niamh McCabe (Nimcake) and Cathy Angelini (Cathy Flamingo)
– Panel discussion “Diversifying – The Power and Importance of Diversifying your Brand” with Erica Drum (virtual Chef), Tim Stone (Popsicle) and Laura Edgerton (Culinary Cork).
(supported by Local Enterprise Office Cork City)
– Panel Discussion “The Impact Creativity Has On Our Lives- What Creativity Means to You and Everyone Else”, with Simon Roche (HMH/ Bureau), artist Shane O’Driscoll and Jimmy Rennick (Design Partners)
– Claudia Kinmonth in conversation with the milking stool designers, Adrian Duyn and Tricia Harris, in Nano Nagle Place’s courtyard.
– A talk hosted by Rae Moore of Atelier Rae, architecture practice.
-Closing Event: Behind the Pavilions with all the architects, designers, and food producers for a conversation about creating their pavilion.
Design Pop’s annual ‘Milking Stool’ exhibition returns, sponsored by Abbey Woods. This exhibition, happening at Nano Nagle Place, is a celebration and showcase of the diverse talent of furniture designers throughout Ireland, by challenging each designer to embody their unique design style through the medium of the humble milking stool. This is a unique opportunity to create a modern reinterpretation of this traditional form.
The furniture pieces will be auctioned through the Design POP website, allowing members of the public and visitors to the exhibition to purchase a stool over the duration of the festival.
RIAI along with Cork City Council will present an exhibition of some of the architecture competition entries for the Bishop Lucey Park redesign. There will be a panel discussion between Cork City Architect Tony Duggan, Sandra O’Connell Director of Architecture and Communications at the RIAI, and the winners of the competition Hall McKnight Architects.
Tickets are now on sale for all events, early booking is advised due to limited capacity allowing for social distancing.
For full details visit:
Design POP is supported by Backwater Artists Group, Cork Printmakers and the Lavit Gallery through the Arts Council of Ireland’s in The Open – Faoin Spéir award: A curated programme of multi-disciplinary, inclusive arts activities in community outdoor spaces running from July 2021-April 2022. #InTheOpenFaoinSpeir
Design POP is also made possible with generous support from Cork City Council and LEO Cork City.
Twitter / @designpopcork